my respect to Michael Jackson - the late King of Pop
We all know that on June 25th, 2009, Michael Joseph Jackson passed away at the age of 50 years old. I'm still in shock 5 days later. I don't know why I'm in shock though. Maybe it's because Michael Jackson's music has been a huge part of my life (and will continue to be a huge part of my life) and of course I'm sad about his passing. Maybe it's because Michael Jackson's fame and music and dance and persona was bigger than life really. He seemed almost...non-human. He was an icon.
Just like most worldwide news events (the falling of the twin towers and Princess Diana's death to name a few) people form a vivid memory of this news that will always remain with them. I remember that I was in my grade 10 accounting class when I heard the news about the twin towers. I remember watching Princess Diana's funeral service in my living room at home with my family. I remember when I learned about Michael Jackson's passing. I was in my apartment in Providencia, Chile. I checked my facebook page before heading to work at 6 30. 4 of my friends had changed their fb statuses just moments earlier to comments about MJ's death. I quickly searched the internet for more information but could only find tabloid magazines to confirm the news. I had to leave my apartment to go to class and after the 7 minute walk to class my TEFL teacher told me that the news had been confirmed. My heart really sank. I came home after my class, turned on all the MJ music I owned and watched CNN Espanol for more information. They were showing videos and songs and interviews from his life and I just sat and watched in awe.
Last night my friends got together and had a Michael Jackson party to honour his life and work. I'm really sad Michael Jackson is gone. I'm a huge fan and I just think he was such a talented, generous and modest person. No one really talks about him like that though and that I think is so sad. And although MJ did some crazy things - who's to say that any of us could be born into the spotlight like that, be put on stage at age 5 and turn out "normal".
Michael Jackson did a lot of wonderful things with his life, he gave so much - to so many causes. He believed in helping people who were stricken by poverty, hunger and racism. Even if you don't know anything about Michael Jackson - you can hear everything I just mentioned if you just listen to a few of his songs - namely 'black or white', 'heal the world', 'they don't really care about us', 'man in the mirror' just to name a few. In my opinion no one will have such a unique and powerful affect on the world the way he did. Every single person I know (and every single person I dont know) knows of Michael Jackson. THAT to me, is inspiring.
To know that Michael won't be making more music or amazing mini motion picture videos to match his music is so sad. He won't perform again BUT the truly inspiring thing is that his music (and I have NO doubt about this) will live on forever.
Rest in Peace Michael
x
It sure was shocking. He will be missed...I hate that tabloid magazines are making it a big deal in a disrespectful way.
ReplyDelete