1.21.2009

the storybook and main characters.

I am a Canadian, I'm proud of that. I love my country and I feel fortunate to have lived here my whole life. I've never been one to have much of an interest in politics - in Canada or around the world. However, I have admired many people that have held positions of power around the world...not because of what they say...but what they do. 

I am an Obama fan. 

I am only indirectly affected by the way he will lead the United States of America and yet some of his words have moved me. I've realized that his words as a President are not so much influential as his words as a man, a father...a person that shares this Earth with me are. I don't think of Barack Obama as anything but what he is...a role model. A role model not only for Americans, but a role model for everyone around the world who believes in fighting for what they want out of life.

There are certain people in the world that inspire you to do good things, be a better person and live your best life. I've come across some of these people already in the 23 years I've been here and most of them I have not even met. I've never been one to dream of becoming the first anything. The first female (fill in black) or the best (fill in blank). I do hope to accomplish many things in life though, and along the way I'll adopt some things I've seen and heard from those that inspire me. 

My goal? To have a memorable story that can inspire others. Even if that story is told to just one person...even if just the best parts of the story are told...that's good enough for me. 
I realized during Barack Obama's inauguration speech on February 20th, that not only does this dream have a proper title, but this is the first time many people have the chance to write their life story any way they wanted. The dream is called "pursuing one's full measure of happiness". I figure why do anything in life that doesn't bring me joy? I'm not naive. Dental visits, paying bills, working till I'm 60 or so, the pain of giving birth, losing loved ones and stubbing my toe are not going to bring me joy. They are just part of life. And I'm prepared to have a check mark beside each of those in my lifetime...but under no circumstances am I ready to let those parts of life end my storybook. 

To think of all the people in the world not living up to their full potential. Stopping short because something prevents them from moving further. No this is not...and will never be me. It just doesn't fit into this story.

Just over a week remains before I move to Chile. I have ideas of what this place will hold for me...but I have no idea how this chapter will end. I have found out in the past week that I will be taking my training course with 5 other people...all from the US. I also know that one of them is going to be living in the same neighbourhood as me for the first month. I have also been offered an interview at a sweet little nursery school on the coast of central Chile. Things are coming together. I am still unsure about how long I will be there for. But I know I'll have to make the most of it. 

Barack Obama is not my president, but he is certainly one of those people that has inspired me to be better and to expect the most out of this life. Not only do I plan on encountering many more people like this...but I hope to meet some of them while in Chile.

No comments:

Post a Comment