So here I am. Blogging. Or in other words...publicly journaling. Not something I really thought I'd be too fond of but I'm beginning to think of it as a useful tool. Being inspired by one of my friends who started her blog, I began to realize this would be a great way to write about my thoughts, troubles, travels and other worthwhile things starting with the letter t perhaps.
It's happening, I am starting to feel like a grown up. That person that makes decisions, pays hefty bills, looks mature and speaks with moderate wisdom. The reason - I'm headed to Chile...on my own...to do something I've never done before but at the same time it's something I've done all my life - speak English. I decided about a year ago that I would take up teaching English as a foreign language around the world. The idea was to teach until I wanted to actually put my four years of Psychology class and experience to use in the 'real world'. The plan originated with a fondness for Thailand and Buddhism. How perfect I thought - teaching English in the country I thought was meant for me...until I learned of all the instability within their country at the same time I became serious about teaching there. So plans changed, as they usually do. And if there is one thing I've been trying to practice during this experience (something I hope to live the remainder of my life by) is to keep an open mind and know that no matter what happens, everything will be O.K. It is quite cliche to say that everything happens for a reason. And instead I'd like to say that things happen at the right time...right when they are supposed to.
So it was time to change my mind about where to teach. Where to go...I needed some inspiration. I really liked the picture I saw on the LanguageCorps website for Chile. It had a very adventurous feel to it. I just felt like I should be there. So I typed "Chile" into Google Earth, talked to some friends and family about the idea...and made the decision...quickly, not carelessly but quickly.
I waited a little while...until I felt that Chile was where I should be in 09. I can't explain what made me sure...but I could just see myself there. Plans were made, flights booked, accommodations set in stone and so forth. I have arranged to take a teacher training course for the first month I am there and from that point...TEACH.
I am confident in so many areas of this endeavor. I am confident that I will learn Spanish in a short period of time, I'm confident that I will find my way around Chile, meet many new friends, and come back with a mind FULL of incredible memories. I am also confident that I will miss my family, friends and my love, Kyle. I expect to be scared, nervous, excited, happy, sad and frustrated. I am assuming those emotions and many others are experienced not only in Canada but all over the world.
I can't help but think of this trip/job/experience as something that will change me. Maybe I'll come back with patience, maybe I won't be as judgmental, maybe I'll care less about time...and more about what fills it. I do know that no matter how much of a grown up I will be after this experience, I'll still be a kid.
Amazing blog Jackie! I love your posts so far! So happy that you started one!
ReplyDelete