2.19.2009

the thing about Chile is...

I have noticed...that there are things in Chile that make me laugh, smile, and do the "ugly face" as we call it in my teaching training course (refers to the face you make when you're questioning something). These things define my first week in Chile:

hospitality of locals -
(Maria and Edgar primarily but I've also met other Chilean families that are just so generous and loving). They just invite you into their home and want you to be comfortable. Maria and Edgar are such lovely people. We talk about anything and everything and they get so proud of me when I can say something in Spanish and not use my Spanish/English dictionary. Maria has told her relatives about how fast I've been learning and it's really great to hear others talk about my progress. Even after I move out on my own in Santiago, I will definitely come visit my lovely host family.

the stare down - 
the way locals stare at me like I'm from a different planet. they look at me like I don't belong here. I've tried staring back...they don't even flinch. The kids are the most amused by the way I look (my light hair and fair skin) because they can stare for a whole 10 minute bus ride and never be interested in looking at something else.

street and bus performances - 
I will never forget the Bob Marley performance on my bus ride home from class on Friday (read "pieces of the puzzle" to get the full story). the street performers here look like they can afford not to perform for a few extra bucks so thats what makes it extra special. they like to do it and it's more fun to watch. you don't feel obligated to give money and they don't beg you for it. So far I've witnessed the following bus performances:
guitar, some type of Chilean ukulele/mandolin, keyboard (yes a full size key board WITH stand on the bus), tambourine, more guitar and finally the plastic bottles used as drums. 
I've witnessed the following street performers:
Character drawings, flame throwers/flame jugglers, cheer leaders, jugglers (probably the most popular aside from the flame jugglers), a boy balancing on a large wooden wheel while juggling, baton twirlers and the one-man-drum-band...I'm sure I've seen more but those are the most memorable ones.

Edgar's English and his sense of humour- 
Edgar helps me out sometimes when I'm looking for a Spanish word...or when I want to say something faster than it would take to look it up. Edgar and I went for a bus ride on my second day here. We passed a Chrysler car lot and he pointed to it and said with his thick Chilean accent "Chrysler....American...Dream!" haha. 

The mountains - 
I'm happiest here when I'm just going about my business not realizing I'm in Chile and then something grabs my attention (usually the most obvious thing is the mountain scenery). In that moment of realizing where I am and how beautiful it is and realizing my gratitude for being here...I'm so happy.




'fruta' - 
the fruit and veggies in Chile are unreal. What we call fruit and veggies in Canada and the US should have a different name because if what I eat here is fruit...well I don't know what I've been eating back at home. The only way I can describe it is its like drinking a food. Its so juicy and so refreshing and so....amazing. The other thing about the fruit here...it's served commonly for dessert and you literally get like a quarter of a huge watermelon...or half a honey dew melon or like a peach and some plums...not just one slice haha. it's a whole other meal.

street dogs -
Yes...street dogs. there are dogs everywhere in chile...even in the downtown core of Santiago. most of them look fairly well groomed or taken care of but they are mainly just run away dogs or dogs people didn't want anymore. They just join together in packs on the sidewalks or near bus stops. They know when to safely cross the street and they are very tame. the other day while I was riding the bus, a lady came on and a dog followed her in. the bus driver asked the dog in Spanish if he had his bip card (which is the bus pass). I seemed to be the only one on the bus that found this hilarious because I guess it happens (dogs coming on buses...not dogs having bip cards). I think if I were homeless in Chile, I'd adopt a street dog as a companion. 

driving - 
people drive here like they have to get somewhere really fast or they will die. they aren't wrekless but they really want to get to where they are going. the funny thing about that is I rarely see road rage...and you'd think in a country where everyone drives in a hurry...that would mean they would get angry when someone cuts them off. 

walking - 
even though people drive like maniacs here...they walk super slow. Chileans arent really time conscious. If you're late it's not a big deal. There are many hours of the day. People are very relaxed here and happy. It's a good place to be.

"eehhhh" - 
the noise my students make when they are thinking of the answer. It's a long drawn out canadian sounding "eh". For example, students response to the question "where are you going today?" "eehhhhhhhhhh....I'm going....to the store." It's one of those things that acts as a reminder of where I actually am.

This list will certainly be an ongoing one that will hopefully last for the whole time I am here in Chile.

1 comment:

  1. I can see how much you like the dog story from the different size of the letters lol Funniy thing, we say "eeeehhhhhh" in Japanese when we think!! The mountains do look lovely...the scenery makes me wanna fly to Chile! Like right now!!

    ReplyDelete